- She lies about the person she is and how she feels about things to make herself feel like a better person than she is.
- She lies about her talents and attributes while denying the glaring character defects that are obvious to those around her.
- She makes a studied effort to not know who the people around her are and what they want.
- She blames her failings on the people around her or on some extraneous factor.
- She rejects our painful and unfair reality that tells her flat out that she never seems to want to know what's going on around her and lives in a happy fog where consequences don't exist if she doesn't want them to.
- She lies about the person she used to be so she can feel better about herself.
- She edits the past to make herself look better.
It should go without saying that the hand-maiden to Elly's world of bullshit and self-aggrandization is a blind hatred for people who want her to face facts that make her out to be responsible for her own misery. John has learned to duck a lot and hide while April ran off, never to be seen again. Everyone else has to pretend that they believe Elly's lies....if they haven't managed to drink her Kool-Aid.