- John: He seems to constantly make and forget the discovery that Elly is not, after all, content with her lot in life, that she feels overwhelmed and stifled by the housework that looms before her like an enormous looming thing. The ancillary lesson that his children are not being moody just to make his life harder is also one that he seems to forget seconds after its rediscovery.
- Elly: The blindingly-obvious fact that her life is not the endless litany of woe and oppression she believes it to be, that John is not a mind reader, that there is not a global conspiracy to keep her from succeeding, that her children are not trying to reduce her into being a babbling cretin who is only good for doing housework and that her life does have meaning are things that she always seems to forget. She also can never seem to remember how children and pets behave; this prevents her from anticipating an accident and making her life better.
- Mike: He is constantly rediscovering and forgetting that the World is not himself; no sooner does he realize that the evils of the world can affect people like him or that Liz has feelings that need to be respected than he starts in tormenting her again and thinking that he's invincible.
- Liz: She can never seem to remember that she'd be a lot better off if she weren't convinced that no one likes her and that she doesn't have to debase herself to gain the approval of others.
- April: She can't seem to get it through her head that her problem with Becky is just that; rather than admit that she's jealous, she inflates a misunderstanding or non-event into a casus belli.
Aesop Amnesia in the Foobisphere.
As I reminded you, Elly seems to have been labouring under the misapprehension that John would react violently to having his car smashed by a moron…
To continue on with yesterday, it's fairly obvious that John might not especially want to have to remember why Elly doesn't like to share much. The…
Of course, the ultimate example of people not really communicating especially well would have to be John and Elly themselves. While at first blush,…