- Elly is a very silly, vain person who thinks that surrendering the least bit of something to someone has to mean that she'll be forced to surrender everything.
- This means that she thinks that when her children want her attention, they don't want her to have free time ever again.
- This results in her either fleeing from them or angrily shooing them away.
- Every so often, her conscience tells her to reconsider things.
- Given that her inner paranoid idiot is more forceful than the voice telling her that her kids ain't monsters, she ends up feeling bad because her children "want" to make her feel bad about having time to herself.
- Since she feels as bad as they do, they're supposed to shut up and go away.
This is also why they keep treating April like a war criminal; since they feel bad about doing what they feel no choice but to do, she's supposed to not resent being thought of as a threat to everyone and everything.