- "People who do better than I do aren't trying to rub their success in my face,"
- "I think that Liz is a passive object to be won or lost and not a person with wants, needs, hopes and dreams."
- "I can't expect to be handed things just because I'm the boss's son; if I want them, I have to earn them."
- "When people don't do what I expect them to, that doesn't make them bad; it means that I should question my expectations."
- "John and Elly Patterson are terrible, self-serving people who only want what I want because it benefits them."
in order to avoid having to face up to the horrible fact that he could have lived a much better life if he'd stopped acting as if he were still in High School.