- Their smug satisfaction at eating in a disgusting manner.
- The comically exaggerated dowdiness of the female characters.
- Their graceless, almost subhuman treatment of one another.
- The belief that children are a burden rather than a blessing.
- The almost criminal neglect of said children.
This led otemporaomores to believe something that makes a lot of sense; the day-to-day life of the Pattersons could possibly be how Lynn believes who are not as enlightened as she is behave. We could very well have spent the last twenty-eight years looking at her snobbery and false populism in action. Like Lonesome Rhodes in 'A Face in the Crowd', she may well seem to live and die for the public praise of the Inmans of the world but behind closed doors be abrasive in her contempt for the gullible white trash who thinks of as so much Archie Bunker.